Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Chinese Calligraphy - A lost art?

When I was asked to write a chinese poem using "Di Shu", an official writing style, I was in shock. I learned and participated in alot of writing contests when I was in elementary school. I was like....errr...OK...I'll give it a try, but don't set too high expectations...

Today, for the first time after this many years, I picked up the brush and started to write...it was like picking up a skill that I almost completely forget. Then things started to come back after an hour of practicing.

I don't know how many young kids nowadays have the interests in learning this chinese writing, since everything can be typed on the computer, and there're hundreds of fonts to choose from...why bother? I wonder if it is going to be a lost art...

2 comments:

ray said...

I was very much impressed when I saw the calligraphy! I've never thought you could actually write that good. I'm always proud that I can write very good calligraphy in pen, but always regret that I didn't any effort in learning the brush calligraphy. Guess when I'm retired, I know what to learn from you. :)

Joanne said...

thanks for the compliment! I'm glad that you finally discovered I have something for you to learn from :P